I knew the gunner would need a weapon in his right hand and liked the idea of a pistol. I really like the look of the Radium Pistol so I snagged that, knowing that I wasn't going to use it on either of the Ranger Alphas I am planning to assemble.
The pointing arm started out as a simple cut and place job. But I realized
after I had glued it on that the shoulder guard wasn't sitting correctly and looked wrong. So I broke it back off and grabbed the old left arm from the gunner's original model.
Then, I cut the pointing arm and the gunner arm at the elbow. A drill, pin and glue later, the arm was whole again and just needed a bit of filler to
Hyped on how he turned out I couldn't leave him be and decided to hammer out my paint scheme for the army. Using the gunner-turned-commander as the test mini. I decided to stick with the Mars color scheme for the markings, clothing and vehicle plating. But I knew I wanted their metal body parts to be brass or copper in appearance.
That said, I ran to the hobby store this weekend and picked up all sorts of brass and
The steps go like this:
- Dual Prime Chaos Black with Skull White sprayed from directly above.
- Base coat brass areas with Vallejo Chocolate Brown.
- First Coat with GW Brass Scorpion
- Highlight with GW Hashut Copper
- Edge Highlight with GW Runelord Brass
- Spot Highlight with GW Runefang Steel
- Base coat exterior with Khorne Red
- Highlight with Mephiston Red
- Edge Highlight with Wild Rider Red
- Base coat interior with Rakarth Flesh
- Highlight with Utahbi Bone
His hoses were painted similar to the ones in the codex with wires of various colors and tubes with hazard stripes. I didn't highlight them though and I'm not
sure if I'll just wash and forget them. Still deciding.
But, that's my brand new Onager Commander for my AdMech: Skitarii. I think he turned out well. Though I did realize that my favorite detail brush is not long for the world. Tonight, I'll get my Rangers assembled and maybe by the end of the week the entire force will be ready to go.