Monday, October 29, 2012

Silas WIP - Adding Cattails

I've been wanting to add some kind of cattail to the swamp base for awhile. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that when I was a kid, the swamp across the tracks from my house always had them. Thus I associate cattail with swamps and wetlands more than over grown weeds. So I found some down time while working on my big project to make up some cattails for the swamp base and here's the results.

Saturday, October 27, 2012

Silas WIP - It's Log!

Been awhile since I posted. I've been super busy this last week and have a major project going on that needs to be done by the 24th of next month. This means that my miniatures projects have to take a little bit of a back seat for the moment while I bust my ass to get this other project done. But, I do have a minor update to share, so here goes.

Saturday, October 20, 2012

Silas WIP - Painting the Reeds and Adding Grass

Work continues on the swamp base and tonight I added the static grass and painted the reeds. I started by watering down the dark green I used for the moss and washed it over the reeds. Then I washed them again with GW Gryphonne Sepia and Thraka Green. This was followed another wash of Reaper Pine Green and another wash of Sepia.

Friday, October 19, 2012

Silas WIP - Mossy Ground Added and Envirotex GET!

Today I came home to a package in the mail, and it was my Envirotex Lite! So once I get done with the rest of the base I can take a crash course in mixing resin based varnish, yay... I'm really hoping it will give it the look others have achieved with it. Because, if not, I'll have wasted countless hours crafting this base for nothing.

Instant Water Effects!

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Silas WIP - More Reeds

Still slowly working on the base for Silas. I added the rest of the reeds to the water and am drying out a twig to use as a log. The Envirotex hasn't shown up yet, so I have plenty of time to decide on things before I pull the trigger and pour the varnish over it all.

Monday, October 15, 2012

WIP SDE Dragons and Quick Update on the Swamp Base.

Finally got some more progress done of the SDE dragons. I've been working on doing their spines and claws and decided to go with a bone color for them. Tonight I did the base coat on all but Starfire and tomorrow I'll prolly start working up to the bone white color of them. Once that's done, all that'll be left is to paint the bases and we'll be good to move on to the Kobolds! woot!

Whelp, Wyrmling and Hatchlings.

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Slow Going

Been a little bit since I've posted anything. That's because I've been working on the Dragon's Clutch to Super Dungeon Explore. It's taking awhile, because I'm painting them all in the same color scheme. Which means I'm painting 13 dragons, one color at a time.

I have the skin painted, but may need to do a few more successive highlights. The problem is they are Black Dragons, so it's hard to see the highlights that are already there. The eyes and under bellies are done, and once the skin is done I just need to paint the insides of their mouths and any horns/spines left.

Pics coming soon.

Saturday, October 6, 2012

Relic Knights - Princess Malya and Kisa GET!

Today I got two new minis from Soda Pop! Both are current releases of their Relic Knights line, and made of pewter. These models don't have any rules attached to them, since they were produced before the final game has been completed. But, I didn't get them for playing, I got them for painting and displaying.

Relic Knight Princess Malya & Mr Tomn on the left & Questing Knight Kisa & Scratch on the left

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Silas WIP - More Scenic Base Work

The plan for tonight was to clean my living room, but today was super busy and hectic at work, so I vegged on the couch for a bit. Eventually that lead to sliding the painting table over and working on things SDE and Silas related... needless to say the cleaning never happened.

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Silas WIP - Scenic Base Work

I came home and started working on a layout for the SDE contest, but ended up frustrating myself with it for a bit. I'm sure I'll be able to come up with something for it soonish, but for now I'm taking a minor break from it while I attempt to wrap my head around a major terrain project. Instead, after dinner I continued work on the display mini for my Pathfinder character Silas.

Super Dungeon Explore Build Off?

Soda Pop announced that they are having a board build off for Super Dungeon Explore this month! I still don't have all the figures painted, but it could be a sweet project and I was half ass thinking about building custom 3D boards for the game anyway.
The object of the contest is to make at least 2 boards, themed after the new Caverns of Roxor expansion. I've already drawn up some plans and perhaps tonight I'll lay it out on graph paper. The only problem is, I lack practice with modeling terrain. But this could be a fun way to start out.

Monday, October 1, 2012

Well, Let's Hop Right Into This...

Well, lets hop right into this and I'll get the layout rolling later. Where to begin... this isn't the first blog I've made over the years, but I think this IS the first time I've had any good reason to actually make one. I'm surprised I never thought about setting this up before, really. This blog is dedicated to my second longest life-long hobby, miniature painting and conversions.