Saturday, July 18, 2015

WIP: SDE: Von Drakk Manor - Rusting Armor

Now that The Great Cyclopean Gemstone Heist! is finished, I was able to get started on the Super Dungeon Explore: Von Drakk Manor expansion pack. I've been looking forward to starting on this set for awhile now, but I wasn't sure how to get started on them. After priming them, I base coated all of their eyes. But then I realized that the armor was going to be a messy endeavor , so I started on that first.

Special thanks to @3dgreg, @OPwizardbeard and @40kChris for helping me out with the rust technique.


I've done rust effects before, but, it was mostly just for accents. With these guys, I wanted fully rusted metal to the point where there was hardly any silver showing at all. I think they are turning out well so far.

For the rust effects, I started out with a base coat of Vallejo Chocolate Brown. Then I drybrushed it over with GW Ironbreaker. Then using Chocolate Brown and a Red from Reaper (it's marked "sample", so I don't know the actual name). From there I began adding in more red to the mix as I layered it on. Until I then started adding in a light orange to the mix as well.


It turned out well, but something was missing. So, I ran to the hobby shop and picked up a few new paints; Typhus Corrosion and Ryza Rust along with a new wash Reikland Fleshshade.

I started with the Typhus Corrision and put it into areas that seemed logical. This stuff is basically a wash with sand mixed into it. Once it's dried it looks like a deeply pitted area in the metal.

Then, I cover the Typhus Corrosion with a wash of Reikland Fleshshade, adding some of it to other metal areas. This was followed by a drybrush of Ryza Rust to pick out the high points and cover some of the Typhus Corrosion.

It worked out really well! I'm super pleased with the rusty armor now and I think it's time to move on to the skeleton's bones.

Of course, now I've changed my mind on the starting color of green I'll be using for the eyes too. Which means base coating them was pretty point less....




3 comments:

  1. I think the final might benefit from adding just a bit of sponged on metallic color to represent new scratches and dents. It's almost TOO rusted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point. I originally did that with the shield before I repainted it. But after the new paints were used I forgot about it. Ha

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete