Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Wizardry in Progress 6/13/18

Better late than never. I forgot all about last week's write up! So, this last week is double the fun.

Last week, the main thing that happened was a rework of my desk, I cleaned it up and moved my lamps around. I also got a new frame for the picture of us with Cary Elwes and properly hung it up on the wall.

Other than that, I started on a Librarian by painting his face, then I began painting new additions to Admech army with a new Tech-Priest Dominus. I made a new mold for Kastelan Robot heads and cast a clear head for my buddy Greg.

This week, I finished the Dominus and started making bases for the new Skitarii Vanguard plasma dudes and bases for the Kataphron Destroyers.

Let's take a look!


Desk Clean-Up
The first order of business for the week was to clean up my desk. I moved my microphone away from the painting area, since I only really need it for recording voice over of YouTube videos. I also removed my old desk lamp. This gave me a lot of space and it doesn't feel like I'm being surrounded my contraptions any longer.

Also, I finally framed the picture of my sister and I with Cary Elwes from last year. It was a hobby milestone and a great memory, it deserved a place at the work area. Also, my girlfriend found an Injured Ian Malcolm Funko and I couldn't help but put it on my paint rack, because its hilarious.

Finally, I reworked the photography area too. It still needs some work and another lamp or two for better lighting, but it works for the time being.



Terminator Librarian
As part of the Blood Angels commission, I am painting up a Librarian in Terminator Armor.

I got a start on him with a nice little face paint job.

I'm really happy with the way it came out and especially like the shadowing on the skin. The eyes were fun too, since they are glowing blue with psycher power. 

Tech-Priest Dominus
This guy was a blast to build and paint. I feel like he fits in well with the rest of the Adeptus Mechanicus style fairly well and the parts all seem like they belong together.

His arms are a little longer than they should be and he is a little bit squaty, but overall I think it works well. 

Bases
With the Dominus out of the way, I moved on to a group of Vanguard (see below) and needed to make up some new bases.

While I was at it, I made bases for the Kataphron Destroyers by pressing their tank treads into the green stuff.

The Vanguard bases are also the first bases in awhile that had skeleton bits on them. Sadly the one with the buried head didn't work though. When I primed them and put the basing paints on I lost it in the texture.

Kastelan Mold and Head
At Adepticon, I played against my friend Greg and his Ork walker army, which included a knight converted to count as a Gorkanaut (I think).

After he trounced my Kastelan Robots, he decided that he wanted to add a little scene to the base of the knight of a destroyed robot and a grot running around with the helmet on.

That said, I cast him a robot head, which he is going to drill out and stick on top of a grot. I'm almost giving him one of my Grim Skull heads for the destroyed robot.

I can't wait to see what he comes up with!

Skitarii Vanguard
After Adepticon, I realized that my Vanguard squads are severely lacking in firepower.

While I was tossing 30 shots a round with each squad, on higher toughness targets I had a problem chipping paint. Also, the Omnispex seemed wasted in the games that I played.

With that in mind, I built up a few new guys with Plasma Calivers and a couple more with Enhanced Data-Tethers.

They are super close to finished and I just need a few more details on them. Then I can move on to the next group. 


Until next time, you can catch me on Twitter and Instagram. Check out YouTube for the latest in the Let's Paint series. Plus if you like what I do and want to support the site and my painting endeavors, you can do so over on Ko-fi.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment